О. Fayura1, А. Маksymuk2, О. Аbrahamovych1, М. Аbrahamovych1, L. Tsyhanyk1, S. Tolopko1, M. Ferko1
1Danylo Halytsky Lviv National Medical University
2Ivan Franko National University of Lviv
Introduction. Despite the latest advances in modern medicine, the direct etiological factors of many diseases remain unknown or it is impossible to determine the significance of each of them in their occurrence, so the theory of risk factors is extremely relevant for both theoretical and practical medicine. There are also often situations in which it is necessary to determine the optimal tactics of patient care, because preventive, curative and rehabilitation activities of the doctor require timely prediction of the occurrence probability, further course of the pathological process, its complications, recurrences under the influence of certain environmental factors, threatening and terminal stages, side effects of drugs. Therefore, the need for a practical solution to these problems has become the basis for the theory of risk factors and prognosis methods.
The aim of the study. Describe the importance of risk factors and methods of their calculation and evaluation, prognosis in medicine, using literature sources, provide specific examples of their use in own clinical practice.
Materials and methods. Content analysis, method of system and comparative analysis, bibliosemantic method of studying the current scientific researches concerning studying of the importance of risk factors and a technique of their calculation and estimation, prognosis in medicine were used. Sources were searched in scientometric databases: PubMed, Medline, Springer, Google Scholar, Research Gate by keywords: risk factors, one-way analysis, multi-factor analysis. 54 literary sources in English and Ukrainian, which highlight the importance of risk factors and methods of their calculation and evaluation, prognosis in medicine were selected and analyzed, we describe the results of their use in our own clinical practice.
Results. The concept of risk, as the probability of an adverse event or outcome, is most often used in analytical studies, which are planned to identify the causes and their prevalence of certain conditions. “Risk” cannot be measured directly by the results of information evaluation in one person, but is calculated on the basis of selective observation of a group of persons who are under the influence (exposed group) of a certain factor. Risk factors are potentially pathogenic factors, in contact with which a person may develop a disease. A full analysis of pathological processes, assessment of risk factors and actual risks are impossible without prognosis, as well as multivariate analysis, which is often based on the probabilistic method of A. Wald or the survival curves construction. In practical health care, cases of medical and social research and in clinical studies, it is often necessary to identify the trends (predict) in changes of a certain condition.
Conclusions. Determining the risk factors, calculating the actual risks and prognosis play an important role in medicine, because in the doctor’s practice there are daily situations that need to determine the optimal tactics taking into account trends, course, severity and results of treatment, therefore, their definition/calculation must be clear and understandable. Depending on the case, the doctor can use the analysis of the score for certain factors, create risk groups, develop a monitoring plan etc. As a result, it becomes possible to create a plan of preventive measures and timely correction of treatment.
- Wald A. Sequential analysis. Moskow: Fizmagiz; 1960. 307 p. (Russian)
- Grigorova AO. Treatment and rehabilitation of injuries and inflammatory diseases of the maxillofacial area, taking into account the psychophysiological condition of patients [dissertation]. Kharkiv: Kharkiv. nat. med. university; 2017. 39 p. (Ukrainian)
- Mulesa O, Snytyuk V, Gerzanich S. The method of fuzzy classification based on Wald’s sequential analysis. Automation of technological and business processes. 2020;11:35-42. (Ukrainian)
- Tereshkin KI. Prognostic and differential diagnostic value of clinical and genealogical risk factors for disorders of the structural and functional state of bone tissue in young people with osteoarthritis on the background of obesity. Actual Problems of Modern Medicine. 2017;17(1):199-204. (Ukrainian)
- Azimmatul I. The Use of Cox Regression Model to Analyze the Factors that Influence Consumer Purchase Decision on a Product. Agriculture and Agricultural Science Procedia. 2015;3:78-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aaspro.2015.01.017
- Brown B, Suesse T, Yap V. Wilson Confidence Intervals for the Two-Sample Log-Odds-Ratio in Stratified 2×2 Contingency Tables. Communication in Statistics- Theory and Methods. 2012;41:3355-3370. https://doi.org/10.1080/03610926.2011.560779
- Goel MK, Khanna P, Kishore J. Understanding survival analysis: Kaplan-Meier estimate. Int J Ayurveda Res. 2010;1(4):274-278. https://doi.org/10.4103/0974-7788.76794
- Royston, P, Parmar, MK. Augmenting the logrank test in the design of clinical trials in which non-proportional hazards of the treatment effect may be anticipated. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2016;16:16. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12874-016-0110-x
- Sullivan L. Essentials of Biostatistics in Public Health. Publisher: Jones & Bartlett Learning; 3rd ed. 2017. 378 p.