V. Denesyuk, O. Barska, Yu. Shushkovska, O. Bilonko
National Pirogov Memorial Medical University, Vinnytsya
Introduction. Studies on the clinical significance of ambulatory blood pressure monitoring in patients with arterial with hypertension as predictor of future adverse cardiovascular events are far from complete.
The aim of the study. To analyze current literature database and own results in the evaluation of clinical significance of ambulatory blood pressure monitoring in patients with arterial hypertension as predictors and criteria for predicting adverse cardiovascular events.
Materials and methods. As much as 56 sources of literature and results of own research evaluating clinical significance of ambulatory blood pressure monitoring in patients with arterial hypertension predicting adverse cardiovascular events was highlighted.
Results. The analysis of available literature and results of our own research prove that ambulatory blood pressure monitoring is a powerful prognostic marker of target organ damage. It is the indisputable advantage of ambulatory blood pressure monitoring with regard to the detection of prognostic unfavorable cardiovascular events in patients with arterial hypertension.
Conclusions. The high informative value of ambulatory blood pressure monitoring for predicting future adverse cardiovascular events has been proven and the criteria for their prediction have been clarified.
- Barsʹka OV. Cardiovascular events and late remodeling of the heart and blood vessels after acute coronary syndrome and increasing the effectiveness of preventive treatment. Vinnytsia: Edelʹveys i K; 2022. 216 р. (Ukrainian)
- Denesіuk VI, Denesіuk OV, Kovalenko VM, editors Internal medicine: a textbook for students of higher education institutions of the III-IV level of accreditation and doctors of postgraduate education based on the recommendations of evidence-based medicine. : Morion; 2019. 960 р.) (Ukrainian)
- Denesyuk VI, Protsyuk RH, editors. Implementation of diagnostic, prognostic and treatment scales from internal medicine in the educational process of training students and doctors of postgraduate education: study guide. Kyiv: DZK Center; 168 р. (Ukrainian)
- Denesіuk OV, Denesіuk VI. Influence of basic complex two-year therapy on indicators of late remodeling of the left ventricle and prophylaxis of the occurrence of cardiovascular events in patients after unstable angina combined with arterial hypertension. 2019;2(46):270-275. (Ukrainian)
- Zharinov OY, Ivaniv YUA, Kuts VO, editors. Functional diagnostics: a textbook for intern doctors and trainee doctors of institutions (faculties) of postgraduate education of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine. – 2nd ed., supplement. and processing. Kyiv: The Fourth Wave; 784 р. (Ukrainian)
- Kovalenko VM, Lutay MI, Sirenko YuM, Sychov OS, editors. Cardiovascular diseases. Classification, standards of diagnosis and treatment. Kyiv: Morion; 320 р. (Ukrainian)
- Moskovko SP, Smotrytsʹka TV. Variability of blood pressure in the acute period of cerebral stroke – a modern view of the problem. ScienceRise: Medical Science. 2017;3(11):39-43. (Ukrainian)
- Ovodyuk NN, Shestak NV. The effect of blood pressure variability on the cognitive and psyhoemotional spheres in patients (public servants) after an ischemic stroke with mild neurological deficit. Bulletin of Social Hygiene and Health Protection Organization of Ukraine. 2022;4:75-80. (Ukrainian)
- Tereshchenko O. Blood pressure variability: prognostic significance, selection of the optimal antihypertensive drug.Health of Ukraine of the 21st century. 2017;18(415):26. (Ukrainian)
- Chernyaha-Royko UP, Sorokivsʹkyy MS. Blood pressure variability – a strategic target of combined antihypertensive therapy or a myth of experimental research? Health of Ukraine. Thematic number “Cardiology, Rheumatology, Cardiosurgery”. 2012;2:71-72. (Ukrainian)
- Angeli F, Reboldi G, Verdecchia P. Interpretation of ambulatory blood pressure profile: a prognostic approach for clinical practice. J Hypertens. 2015;33(3):454-457.
- Chang JC, Xiao R, Meyers KE, Mercer-Rosa L, Natarajan SS, Weiss PF et al. Nocturnal blood pressure dipping as a marker of endothelial function and subclinical atherosclerosis in pediatric-onset systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Res Ther. 2020;22(1):129.
- Clark D, Nicholls SJ, St John J, Elshazly MB, Ahmed HM, Khraishah H et al. visit-to-visit blood pressure variability, coronary atheroma progression, and clinical outcomes. JAMA Cardiol. 2019;4(5):437-443.
- Dai Y, Wang Y, Xie Y, Zheng J, Guo R, Sun Z et al. Short-term and long-term blood pressure changes and the risk of all-cause and cardiovascular mortality. Biomed Res Int. 2019;2019:5274097.
- Dasa O, Smith SM, Howard G, Cooper-DeHoff RM, Gong Y, Handberg E et al. Association of 1-year blood pressure variability with long-term mortality among adults with coronary artery disease: a post hoc analysis of a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Netw Open. 2021;4(4):e218418.
- Fácila L, Pallarés V, Peset A, Pérez M, Gil V, Montagud V et al. Twenty-four-hour ambulatory heart rate and organ damage in primary hypertension. Blood Press. 2010;19(2):104-109.
- Fan HQ, Li Y, Thijs L, Hansen TW, Boggia J, Kikuya M et al. International database on ambulatory blood pressure in relation to cardiovascular outcomes investigators. Prognostic value of isolated nocturnal hypertension on ambulatory measurement in 8711 individuals from 10 populations. J Hypertens. 2010;28(10):2036-2045.
- Hansen TW, Kikuya M, Thijs L, Björklund-Bodegård K, Kuznetsova T, Ohkubo T et al. IDACO Investigators. Prognostic superiority of daytime ambulatory over conventional blood pressure in four populations: a meta-analysis of 7,030 individuals. J Hypertens. 2007;25(8):1554-1564.
- Hansen TW, Li Y, Boggia J, Thijs L, Richart T, Staessen JA. Predictive role of the nighttime blood pressure. 2011;57(1):3-10.
- Hermida RC, Crespo JJ, Otero A, Domínguez-Sardiña M, Moyá A, Ríos MT et al. Hygia Project Investigators. Asleep blood pressure: significant prognostic marker of vascular risk and therapeutic target for prevention. Eur Heart J. 2018;39(47):4159-4171.
- Inker LA, Eckfeldt J, Levey AS, Leiendecker-Foster C, Rynders G, Manzi J et al. Expressing the CKD-EPI (Chronic Kidney Disease Epidemiology Collaboration) cystatin C equations for estimating GFR with standardized serum cystatin C values. Am J Kidney Dis. 2011;58(4):682-684.
- Jones NR, McCormack T, Constanti M, McManus RJ. Diagnosis and management of hypertension in adults: NICE guideline update 2019. Br J Gen Pract. 2020;70(691):90-91.
- Kario K, Shimada K. Risers and extreme-dippers of nocturnal blood pressure in hypertension: antihypertensive strategy for nocturnal blood pressure. Clin Exp Hypertens. 2004;26(2):177-189.
- Kurpesa M, Trzos E, Drozdz J, Bednarkiewicz Z, Krzemińska-Pakuła M. Myocardial ischemia and autonomic activity in dippers and non-dippers with coronary artery disease: assessment of normotensive and hypertensive patients. Int J Cardiol. 2002;83(2):133-142.
- Lee SR, Choi EK, Han KD, Lee SH, Oh S. Effect of the variability of blood pressure, glucose level, total cholesterol level, and body mass index on the risk of atrial fibrillation in a healthy population. Heart Rhythm. 2020;17(1):12-19.
- Lim SS, Vos T, Flaxman AD, Danaei G, Shibuya K, Adair-Rohani H et al. A comparative risk assessment of burden of disease and injury attributable to 67 risk factors and risk factor clusters in 21 regions, 1990-2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet. 2012;380(9859):2224-2260.
- Liu Y, Luo X, Jia H, Yu B. The effect of blood pressure variability on coronary atherosclerosis plaques. Front Cardiovasc Med. 2022;9:803810.
- Mancia G, Ferrari A, Gregorini L, Parati G, Pomidossi G, Bertinieri G et al. Blood pressure and heart rate variabilities in normotensive and hypertensive human beings. Circ Res. 1983;53(1):96-104.
- Manyari DE. Prognostic implications of echocardiographically determined left ventricular mass in the Framingham Heart Study. N Engl J Med. 1990;323(24):1706-1707.
- Możdżan M, Wierzbowska-Drabik K, Kurpesa M, Trzos E, Rechciński T, Broncel M et al. Echocardiographic indices of left ventricular hypertrophy and diastolic function in hypertensive patients with preserved LVEF classified as dippers and non-dippers. Arch Med Sci. 2013;9(2):268-275.
- Naser N, Pepic E, Avdic S. The diagnostic value of combined 24-h BP and ECG holter monitoring in detection of cardiac arrhythmias in patients with arterial hypertension. Acta Inform Med. 2022;30(1):69-75.
- NCD Risk Factor Collaboration (NCD-RisC). Worldwide trends in blood pressure from 1975 to 2015: a pooled analysis of 1479 population-based measurement studies with 19·1 million participants. 2017;389(10064):37-55.
- Nuyujukian DS, Koska J, Bahn G, Reaven PD, Zhou JJ. Blood pressure variability and risk of heart failure in ACCORD and the VADT. Diabetes Care. 2020;43(7):1471-1478.
- O’Brien E, Parati G, Stergiou G, Asmar R, Beilin L, Bilo G et al. European Society of Hypertension Working Group on Blood Pressure Monitoring. European Society of Hypertension position paper on ambulatory blood pressure monitoring. J Hypertens. 2013;31(9):1731-1768.
- O’Brien E, Sheridan J, O’Malley K. Dippers and non-dippers. Lancet. 1988;2(8607):397.
- Palatini P, Reboldi G, Beilin LJ, Eguchi K, Imai Y, Kario K et al. Predictive value of night-time heart rate for cardiovascular events in hypertension. The ABP-International study. Int J Cardiol. 2013;168(2):1490-1495.
- Palatini P, Saladini F, Mos L, Fania C, Mazzer A, Casiglia E. Low night-time heart rate is longitudinally associated with lower augmentation index and central systolic blood pressure in hypertension. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2018;118(3):543-550.
- Parati G, Faini A, Valentini M. Blood pressure variability: its measurement and significance in hypertension. Curr Hypertens Rep. 2006;8(3):199-204.
- Park S, Buranakitjaroen P, Chen CH, Chia YC, Divinagracia R, Hoshide S et al. HOPE Asia Network. Expert panel consensus recommendations for home blood pressure monitoring in Asia: the Hope Asia Network. J Hum Hypertens. 2018;32(4):249-258.
- Passino C, Magagna A, Conforti F, Buralli S, Kozáková M, Palombo C et al. Ventricular repolarization is prolonged in nondipper hypertensive patients: role of left ventricular hypertrophy and autonomic dysfunction. J Hypertens. 2003;21(2):445-451.
- Pena-Hernandez C, Nugent K, Tuncel M. Twenty-four-hour ambulatory blood pressure monitoring. J Prim Care Community Health. 2020;11:2150132720940519.
- Pierdomenico SD, Cuccurullo F. Prognostic value of white-coat and masked hypertension diagnosed by ambulatory monitoring in initially untreated subjects: an updated meta analysis. Am J Hypertens. 2011;24(1):52-58.
- Rivasi G, Groppelli A, Brignole M, Soranna D, Zambon A, Bilo G et al. Association between hypotension during 24 h ambulatory blood pressure monitoring and reflex syncope: the SynABPM 1 study. Eur Heart J. 2022;43(38):3765-3776.
- Rothwell PM, Howard SC, Dolan E, O’Brien E, Dobson JE, Dahlöf B et al. Prognostic significance of visit-to-visit variability, maximum systolic blood pressure, and episodic hypertension. Lancet. 2010;375(9718):895-905.
- Salles GF, Reboldi G, Fagard RH, Cardoso CR, Pierdomenico SD, Verdecchia P et al. Prognostic effect of the nocturnal blood pressure fall in hypertensive patients: The ambulatory blood pressure collaboration in patients with hypertension (ABC-H) meta-analysis. Hypertension. 2016;67(4):693-700.
- Sega R, Facchetti R, Bombelli M, Cesana G, Corrao G, Grassi G et al. Prognostic value of ambulatory and home blood pressures compared with office blood pressure in the general population: follow-up results from the Pressioni Arteriose Monitorate e Loro Associazioni (PAMELA) study. Circulation. 2005;111(14):1777-1783.
- Siddiqui M, Judd EK, Dudenbostel T, Zhang B, Gupta P, Tomaszewski M et al. Masked uncontrolled hypertension is not attributable to medication nonadherence. Hypertension. 2019;74(3):652-659.
- Silveri G, Pascazio L, Accardo A. Relationship between blood pressure and heart rate circadian rhythms in normotensive and hypertensive subjects. Computing in Cardiology Conference. 2018;45:1-4.
- Suchy-Dicey AM, Wallace ER, Mitchell SV, Aguilar M, Gottesman RF, Rice K et al. Blood pressure variability and the risk of all-cause mortality, incident myocardial infarction, and incident stroke in the cardiovascular health study. Am J Hypertens. 2013;26(10):1210-1217.
- Webb AJ, Fischer U, Mehta Z, Rothwell PM. Effects of antihypertensive-drug class on interindividual variation in blood pressure and risk of stroke: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet. 2010;375(9718):906-915.
- Whelton PK, Carey RM, Aronow WS, Casey DE Jr, Collins KJ, Dennison Himmelfarb C et al. 2017 ACC/AHA/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/AGS/APhA/ASH/ASPC/NMA/PCNA Guideline for the prevention, detection, evaluation, and management of high blood pressure in adults: Executive summary: A report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines. Hypertension. 2018;71(6):1269-1324.
- Whelton PK. The elusiveness of population-wide high blood pressure control. Annu Rev Public Health. 2015;36:109-130.
- Williams B, Mancia G, Spiering W, Agabiti Rosei E, Azizi M, Burnier M et al. 2018 ESC/ESH Guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension. Eur Heart J. 2018;39(33):3021-3104.
- Xiao FK, Li P, Han ZY, Jing L, Hua S, Zhao LS. Patients with dipper and nondipper high-normal blood pressure were associated with left ventricular Mass. Int J Hypertens. 2021;2021:6946418.
- Yang WY, Melgarejo JD, Thijs L, Zhang ZY, Boggia J, Wei FF et al. International Database on Ambulatory Blood Pressure in Relation to Cardiovascular Outcomes (IDACO) Investigators. Association of Office and Ambulatory Blood Pressure With Mortality and Cardiovascular Outcomes. 2019;322(5):409-420.
- Zheng J, Xie Y, Wang Y, Guo R, Dai Y, Sun Z et al. Short- and long-term systolic blood pressure changes have different impacts on major adverse cardiovascular events: Results from a 12.5 years follow-up study. Int J Cardiol. 2020;306:190-195.