L. Markin, O. Matvienko, O. Korytko
Danylo Halytsky Lviv National Medical University
Introduction. Recently, much attention has been paid to the problem of new approaches in the treatment of genital herpes in women. The problem is extremely important, because this genital infection is very common in the world. The main types of genital infection are herpes simplex virus (HSV-1) and (HSV-2). Worldwide, more than 400 million people have genital herpes caused by HSV-2. In the United States of America (USA), nearly one in five adults (approximately 40 million people) have HSV-2 infection, with approximately one million new infections occurring each year.
The aim of the study. To analyze the modern principles of treatment of genital herpes in women, using literary sources and the results of own research.
Materials and methods. In total, twelve publications by foreign authors were selected and processed based on their relevance to the chosen topic, and information on the effectiveness of the use of the antiviral agent “Virostat” in one’s own practice was provided.
Results. To date, there are several strategies for the use of antiherpetic drugs (acyclovir, virostat (famciclovir), valacyclovir), which have been studied and tested in cases of first infection with genital herpes, episodic and suppressive cure. There are two important priorities for the treatment of genital herpes: the first is to prevent clinical manifestations and relapses, and the second is to prevent transmission to sexual partners. Our clinical experience allows us to recommend the use of the Ukrainian medicine “Virostat” (producer “Kyiv Vitamin Plant”) for the treatment of HSV infection in women with various clinical manifestations.
Conclusions. To date, it should be noted that genital herpes remains a very common sexually transmitted disease. The increasing frequency of HSV-1 and HSV-2 is associated with recurrences of genital ulcer disease. HSV-2 plays a key role in the spread of HIV and, although rare, HSV-1 and HSV-2 lead to severe complications if contracted during pregnancy, both among mothers and newborns. A review of the literature on the treatment of sexually transmitted diseases as of 2021 found few significant advances in the treatment of genital herpes infections. The greater availability of nucleic acid amplification tests for the diagnosis of HSV in the presence of genital ulcers improves diagnosis in the acute phase, but serological tests lack diagnostic accuracy, so advances in the diagnostic algorithm as well as new diagnostic tools are needed. Although the symptoms of genital herpes can be controlled and transmission to sexual partners can be prevented with antiviral therapy, new treatments with new mechanisms of action will improve the well-being of patients. Considering our clinical experience of using the Ukrainian medicine “Virostat” for various clinical manifestations, we recommend its wide implementation and use.
- Cole S. Herpes simplex virus: Epidemiology, diagnosis, and treatment. Nurs Clin North Am. 2020;55(3):337-345.
- Garland SM, Steben M. Genital herpes. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 2014;28(7):1098-1110.
- Groves MJ. Genital herpes: A review. Am Fam Physician. [Internet]. 2016;93(11):928-934. Available from: https://www.aafp.org/pubs/afp/issues/2016/0601/p928.html
- Johnston C, Corey L. Current Concepts for genital herpes simplex virus infection: Diagnostics and pathogenesis of genital tract shedding. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2016;29(1):149-161.
- Le Cleach L, Trinquart L, Do G, Maruani A, Lebrun-Vignes B, Ravaud P et al. Oral antiviral therapy for prevention of genital herpes outbreaks in immunocompetent and nonpregnant patients. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014;(8):CD009036.
- Legoff J, Bouhlal H, Grésenguet G, Weiss H, Khonde N, Hocini H et al. Real-time PCR quantification of genital shedding of herpes simplex virus (HSV) and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) in women coinfected with HSV and HIV. J Clin Microbiol. 2006;44(2):423-432.
- Majewska A, Mlynarczyk-Bonikowska B. 40 Years after the registration of Acyclovir: Do we need new anti-herpetic drugs? Int J Mol Sci. 2022;23(7):3431.
- Management of genital herpes in pregnancy: ACOG practice bulletinacog practice bulletin, Number 220. Obstet Gynecol. 2020;135(5):e193-e202.
- Polansky H, Javaherian A, Itzkovitz E. Clinical study in genital herpes: natural Gene-Eden-VIR/Novirin versus acyclovir, valacyclovir, and famciclovir. Drug Des Devel Ther. 2016;10:2713-2722.
- Ramos MC, Sardinha JC, Alencar HDR, Aragón MG, Lannoy LH. Brazilian. Protocol for Sexually Transmitted Infections, 2020: infections that cause genital ulcers. Rev Soc Bras Med Trop. 2021;54(suppl1):e2020663.
- Tuddenham S, Hamill MM, Ghanem KG. Diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted infections: a review. JAMA. 2022;327(2):161-172.
- Workowski KA, Bachmann LH, Chan PA, Johnston CM, Muzny CA, Park I et al. Sexually transmitted infections treatment guidelines, 2021. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2021;70(4):1-187.