Bogomolets National Medical University, Kyiv
Introduction. Functional dyspepsia (FD) is common in the worldwide population. In developed countries, dyspeptic disorders occur in 30.0-40.0% of the population and is responsible for 4,0-5,0% of all appeals to general practitioners. In this case, the lion’s share (60.0-65.0%) refers to FD. Women are more likely to suffer after mental injuries. In Ukraine, the prevalence of FD is 30.0-40.0%, but in reality the number of patients may be higher, as many individuals with similar complaints do not visit a doctor.
Aim. To make an overview of modern literature on the problem of FD, the current principles of its diagnosis and treatment.
Materials and methods. During the study the content analysis, method of system and comparative analysis, bibliosemantic method of study of the actual scientific research were used.
Results. According to the recommendations of the conciliation meeting of the International Working Group on the improvement of the diagnostic criteria of the functional diseases of the gastrointestinal tract diseases (Roman criteria III), the diagnosis of FD may be posed if, for at least three last months (not necessarily in succession), there is one of the following symptoms for the last six months: a feeling of gravity after eating; feeling of early saturation; epileurial pain; heartburn in epigastrium, as well as the absence of organic diseases (including those based on the results of esophagogastroduodenal fibroscopy that would explain these symptoms. Treatment of patients with FD syndrome should be comprehensive and include the measures to normalize the lifestyle, diet, labor, psychotherapeutic methods, and, if necessary, medication.
Examination and treatment of the patients with FD usually occurs in outpatient conditions until the disappearance of its manifestations.
During remission, patients maintain their ability to work. Dispensary assumes the implementation of recommendations for normalization of lifestyle and medical nutrition, periodic examination of patients (once or twice a year) and timely treatment of relapses of the disease.
The prognosis in patients with FD is considered rather favorable. With time, there is a decrease in the severity of complaints, which is caused both by a decrease in stressful effects and by the adaptation of patients to factors that have led to the appearance of clinical symptoms. Spontaneous disappearance of symptoms is noted in about one third of patients. It is believed that the risk of peptic ulcer in patients with FD does not differ from the asymptomatic population.
Conclusions. FD is one of the most pressing problems of modern gastroenterology, but many issues are still unresolved and need further study.
- Adapted Clinical Guidance, Built on the Evidences of “Management of Dyspepsia in Adults”: Order of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine dated August 03, 2012 No 600. Kyiv, 2012. 70 p. (Ukrainian).
- Anikin KS. Functional Dyspepsia – from Pathogenesis to Treatment: the Benefits of Combined Medications. Therapia. Ukrainian Medical Bulletin. 2011;9:126-129. (Russian)
- Belmer SV. Modern Understanding of Functional Dyspepsia. Treating Doctor. 2011;6:30-35. (Russian)
- Vasilyev YuV. Functional Dyspepsia. Treating Doctor. 2007;1:50-54. (Russian)
- Hubskaya EYu. Functional Dyspepsia and Roman Criteria III. What’s New? Therapia. Ukrainian Medical Bulletin. 2007;6:64-66. (Russian)
- Ivashkin VT, Sheptulin AA, Lapina TL, Kartavenko IM, Kiprianis VA, Okhlobystina OZ et al. Diagnosis and Treatment of Functional Dyspepsia. Methodical recommendations for doctors. Moscow: RSA, 2011. 28 pp. (Russian)
- Dorofeev AZ, Rudenko NN, Tomash OV. Functional Dyspepsia: Modern Concepts, Mechanisms and Tactics of Patient Management. News of Medicine and Pharmacy. 2012;9:3-9. (Russian)
- Maev IV, Samsonov AA, Aivazova RA, Yashina AV, Karaulov SA. Gastric Dyspepsia, Regurgitation Symptoms and Ways of Their Correction. Pharmateca. 2012;2:39-44. (Russian)
- Ivanov AN, Pryanishnikova AS, Krasnolobova LP. Modern Ideas about the Diagnosis and Treatment of Functional Dyspepsia. Pharmateca. 2011;12:69-73. (Russian)
- Ivashkin VT, Sheptulin AA, Kiprianis VA. Functional Dyspepsia: a Brief Practical Guide. Moscow: MEDpress-Inform, 2011. 112 p. (Russian)
- Morozov S, Kucheryavy Yu. Monotherapy with Proton Pump Inhibitors in Case of Functional Dyspepsia. Doctor. 2011;14:18-21. (Russian)
- Makhov VM, Romasenko LV, Kashevarov SS, Sheptak NN. Multifactority of the Clinical Picture of Functional Dyspepsia. Russian Medical Journal. 2012;15:778. (Russian)
- Pimanov SI, Makarenko EV. Diagnosis and Treatment of the Functional Dyspepsia from the Position of the Roman Consensus. Gastroenterology. 2007;1:3-6. (Russian)
- Protocol of the Sanatorium and Health Resort Treatment of Functional Dyspepsia: Annex to the Order of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine dated 06.02.2008 N 56 “About the Approval of Clinical Protocols of Sanatorium and Health Resort Treatment in Sanatoriums and Health Resorts (except tuberculosis profile) for the adult population” [Internet]. Access mode: http://moz.gov.ua/docfiles/9459_dodatok.rar (Ukrainian)
- Maev IV, Samsonov AA, Bueverov AO, Kochetov SA. Development of Optimal Algorithm for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Functional Dyspepsia. Clinical Perspectives of Gastroenterology, Hepatology. 2010;5:3-9. (Russian)
- Ivashkin VT et al. Rational Pharmacotherapy of Diseases of the Digestive System: A Guide for Practitioners. Moskow: Litterra, 2007. 1045 p. (Russian)
- Svintsitsky AS. Diagnosis and Treatment of the Common Diseases of the Digestive System. Kyiv: Medkniga, 2007. 296 p. (Ukrainian)
- Tumak I. Functional dyspepsia: identification, diagnostic and treatment approaches. Medicine of the World. 2007;6:345-350. (Ukrainian)
- Unified Clinical Protocol for Primary Care “Dyspepsia”: Order of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine dated August 03, 2012 No 600. Kyiv, 2012. 26 p. (Ukrainian)
- Zvyagintseva TD et al. Functional Diseases of the Digestive System: teach. manual. Kharkiv: Tochka, 2010. 167 p. (Ukrainian)
- Kharchenko NV. Functional Dyspepsia is an Urgent Problem of Gastroenterology. Gastroenterology. 2009;4:2-6. (Russian)
- Zimmerman YaS. “Roman Criteria III” for the Syndrome of Functional (Gastroduodenal) Dyspepsia. Clinical Medicine. 2008;4:59-66. (Russian)
- Chernyavsky VV, Kozlov VO. Functional Dyspepsia: the Possibilities of the Pharmacological Correction. Modern Gastroenterology. 2011;6:41-47. (Ukrainian)
- Sheptulin AA. Chronic Gastritis and Functional Dyspepsia: Is There a Way out of the Impasse? (Reflections inspired by Roman criteria III). Russian Journal of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Coloproctology. 2010;2:84-88. (Russian)
- Baker G, Fraser R, Young G. Subtypes of functional dyspepsia. World J Gastroenterol. 2006;17:2667-2671. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v12.i17.2667
- Miwa H, Watari J, Fukui H, Oshima T, Tomita T, Sakurai J et al. Current understanding of pathogenesis of functional dyspepsia. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011;26(3 Suppl):53-60. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1746.2011.06633.x
- Geeraerts B, Tack J. Functional dyspepsia: past, present, and future. J Gastroenterol. 2008;43:251-255. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00535-008-2167-8
- Oshima T, Toyoshima F, Nakajima S, Fukui H, Watari J, Miwa H. Genetic factors for functional dyspepsia. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011;26(3 Suppl):83-87. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1746.2011.06639.x
- Giurcan R, Voiosu TA. Functional dyspepsia: a pragmatic approach. Rom J Intern Med. 2010;48:9-15.
- Kandulski A, Venerito M, Malfertheiner P. Therapeutic strategies for the treatment of dyspepsia. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2010;11(15):2517-2525. https://doi.org/10.1517/14656566.2010.501794
- Loyd RA, McClellan DA. Update on the evaluation and management of functional dyspepsia. Am Fam Physician. 2011;83:547-552.
- Mimidis K, Tack J. Pathogenesis of dyspepsia. Dig Dis. 2008;26:194-202. https://doi.org/10.1159/000121346
- Monkemuller K, Malfertheiner P. Drug treatment of functional dyspepsia. World J Gastroenterol. 2006;17:2694-2700. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v12.i17.2694
- Oustamanolakis P, Tack J. Dyspepsia: organic versus functional. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2012;46:175-190. https://doi.org/10.1097/MCG.0b013e318241b335
- Futagami S, Shimpuku M, Yin Y, Shindo T, Kodaka Y, Nagoya H et al. Pathophysiology of functional dyspepsia. J Nippon Med Sch. 2011;78(5):280-285. https://doi.org/10.1272/jnms.78.280
- Quigley EM, Кeohane J. Dyspepsia. Curr Opin Gastroenterol. 2008;24:692-697. https://doi.org/10.1097/MOG.0b013e328313b983
- Drossman DA, editor. Rome III: The Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders. Degnon Associates, 2006. 1048 p.
- Simadibrata M. Dyspepsia and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD): is there any correlation? Acta Med Indones. 2009;41:222-227.
- Tack J, Janssen P. Emerging drugs for functional dyspepsia. Expert Opin Emerg Drugs. 2011;16(2):283-292. https://doi.org/10.1517/14728214.2011.558502
- Tack J, Masaoka T, Janssen P. Functional dyspepsia. Curr Opin Gastroenterol. 2011;27(6):549-557. https://doi.org/10.1097/MOG.0b013e32834b7ca8
- Tack J, Talley NJ. Gastroduodenal Disorders. Am J Gastroenterol. 2010;105(4):757-763. https://doi.org/10.1038/ajg.2010.66
- Talley NJ. American Gastroenterological Association medical position statement: evaluation of dyspepsia. Gastroenterology. 2005;129:1753-1755. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2005.09.019
- Talley NJ, Herrick L, Locke GR. Antidepressants in functional dyspepsia. Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010;4(1):5-8. https://doi.org/10.1586/egh.09.73
- Talley NJ, Ruff K, Jiang X, Jung HK. The Rome III Classification of dyspepsia: will it help research? Dig Dis. 2008;26(3):203-209. https://doi.org/10.1159/000121347