V. Serhiyenko, M. Hotsko, S. Azhmi, O. Serhiyenko
Danylo Halytsky Lviv National Medical University
Introduction. Currently, there is no unified treatment algorithm of cardiac autonomic neuropathy (CAN) in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM).
The aim of the study was to investigate the effects of simvastatin (SIM) and w-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (w-3 PUFAs) on blood lipid profile and insulin resistance (IR) in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and definite cardiac autonomic neuropathy.
Materials and methods. The study involved 72 patients with T2DM and definite CAN. Patients were divided into four groups: 1st – received standard hypoglycemic therapy – control (n = 15); 2nd (n = 22) – in addition simvastatin (SIM) 20.0 mg/q.d.; 3rd (n = 18) – in addition 1 capsule/q.d. of the ω-3 PUFAs; 4th (n = 17) – in addition SIM 10.0 mg/q.d and 1 capsule/q.d of the ω-3 PUFAs for three months. The concentration of glucose, glycated hemoglobin A1c, immunoreactive insulin (IRI), total cholesterol (TC), low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C), high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C), triglycerides (TG) in the blood were determined. Homeostasis model assessment IR (HOMA-IR), atherogenic coefficient (AC), TG/LDL-C, TG/TC, TG/LDL-C and TG and glucose index (TyG) were calculated.
Results. Prescription of SIM was accompanied by a statistically significant decrease in TC, LDL-C, TG concentrations. In parallel, SIM induced a decrease of AC, TG/HDL-C, increase in HDL-C, and does not affect the IRI, HOMA-IR, TG/LDL-C, TG/TC, TC/LDL-C/HDL-C, TyG. The use of ω-3 PUFAs has contributed to a significant reduction in TG, AC, TG/LDL-C, TG/TC, TG/HDL-C, TyG index, increase in HDL-C, and was not accompanied by changes in IRI content, HOMA-IR, TC, LDL-C, and TC/LDL-C/HDL-C. The combined prescription of SIM and w-3 PUFAs was accompanied by more pronounced, statistically significant changes in the blood lipid spectrum, as well as a decrease in the IRI and HOMA-IR.
Conclusions. Obtained results justify the appropriateness of combined simvastatin and w-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids prescription to patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and definite cardiac autonomic neuropathy.
- Abbasi F, Reaven GM. Comparison of two methods using plasma triglyceride concentration as a surrogate estimate of insulin action in nondiabetic subjects: triglycerides x glucose versus triglyceride/high-density lipoprotein cholesterol. Metabolism. 2011;60(8):1673-1676. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.metabol.2011.04.006
- American Diabetes Association’s Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes-2018. Diabetes Care. 2018;42(Suppl.1):S105-S118. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc19-S007
- Aung T, Halsey J, Kromhout D, Gerstein HC, Marchioli R, Tavazzi L et al. Associations of omega-3 fatty acid supplement use with cardiovascular disease risks. JAMA Cardiol. 2018;3(3):225-234. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamacardio.2017.5205
- Bonafini S, Antoniazzi F, Maffeis C, Minuz P, Fava C. Beneficial effects of omega-3 PUFA in children on cardiovascular risk factors during childhood and adolescence. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat. 2015;120:72-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prostaglandins.2015.03.006
- Calder PC. Marine omega-3 fatty acids and inflammatory processes: Effects, mechanisms and clinical relevance. Biochim Biophis Acta. 2015;1851(4):469-484. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbalip.2014.08.010
- Deo SH, Fisher JP, Vianna LC, Kim A, Chockalingam A, Zimmerman MC et al. Statin therapy lowers muscle sympathetic nerve activity and oxidative stress in patients with heart failure. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2012;303(4):H377-H385. https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpheart.00289.2012
- Elnaem MH, Mohamed MHN, Huri HZ, Azarisman SM, Elkalmi RM. Statin therapy prescribing for patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: A review of current evidence and challenges. J Pharm Bioallied Sci. 2017;9(2):80-87.
- Endo J, Arita M. Cardioprotective mechanism of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. J Cardiol. 2016;67(1):22-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jjcc.2015.08.002
- Grundy SM, Stone NJ, Bailey AL, Beam C, Birtcher KK, Blumenthal RS et al. 2018 AHA/ACC/AACVPR/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/ADA/AGS/APhA/ASPC/NLA/PCNA Guideline on the Management of Blood Cholesterol: Executive Summary: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019;73(24):3168-3209. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2018.11.002
- Handelsman Y, Shapiro MD. Triglycerides, atherosclerosis, and cardiovascular outcome studies: focus on omega-3 fatty acids. Endocr Pract. 2017;23(1):100-112. https://doi.org/10.4158/EP161445.RA https://doi.org/10.4158/EP161445.RA
- Jacobo-Cejudo MG, Valdes-Ramos R, Guadarrama-Lopez AL, Pardo-Morales RV, Martinez-Carrillo BE, Harbige LS. Effect of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation on metabolic and inflammatory biomarkers in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients. Nutrients. 2017;9(6):573. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu9060573
- Jeppesen C, Schiller K, Schulze MB. Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids and type 2 diabetes. Curr Diab Rep. 2013;13(2):279-288. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11892-012-0362-8
- Kim CH, Han KA, Yu J, Lee SH, Jeon HK, Kim SH et al. Efficacy and safety of adding omega-3 fatty acids in statin-treated patients with residual hypertriglyceridemia: ROMANTIC (Rosuvastatin-OMAcor iN residual hyperTrIglyCeridemia), a randomized, double-blind, and placebo-controlled trial. Clin Ther. 2018;40(1):83-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinthera.2017.11.007
- Matthews DR, Hosker JP, Rudenski AS, Naylor BA, Treacher DF, Turner RC. Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and beta-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man. Diabetologia. 1985;28(7):412-419. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00280883
- Moreira ED, Mostarda CT, Moraes-Silva IC, Ferreira JB, Dos Santos F, Lacchini S et al. Effect of simvastatin in the autonomic system is dependent on the increased gain/sensitivity of the baroreceptors. Physiol Rep. 2013;1(3):e00045. https://doi.org/10.1002/phy2.45
- O’Mahoney LL, Matu J, Price OJ, Birch KM, Ajjan RA, Farrar D et al. Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids favourably modulate cardiometabolic biomarkers in type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis and meta-regression of randomized controlled trials. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2018;17:98. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12933-018-0740-x
- Pop-Busui R, Boulton AJM, Feldman EL, Bril V, Freeman R, Malik RA et al. Diabetic neuropathy: A position statement by the American Diabetes Association. Diabetes Care. 2017;40(1):136-154. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc16-2042
- Poreba M, Mostowik M, Siniarski A, Golebiowska-Wiatrak R, Malinowski KP, Haberka M et al. Treatment with high-dose n-3PUFAs has no effect on platelet function, coagulation, metabolic status or inflammation in patients with atherosclerosis and type 2 diabetes. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2017;16(1):50. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12933-017-0523-9
- Pursnani A, Massaro JM, D’Agostino RB Sr, O’Donnell CJ, Hoffmann U. Guideline-based statin eligibility, coronary artery calcification, and cardiovascular events. JAMA. 2015;314(2):134-141. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2015.7515
- Ramos R, Comas-Cufi M, Marti-Lluch R, Balló E, Ponjoan A, Alves-Cabratosa L et al. Statins for primary prevention of cardiovascular events and mortality in old and very old adults with and without type 2 diabetes: retrospective cohort study. BMJ. 2018;362:k3359. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.k3359
- Sawada T, Tsubata H, Hashimoto N, Takabe M, Miyata T, Aoki K et al. Effects of 6-month eicosapentaenoic acid treatment on postprandial hyperglycemia, hyperlipidemia, insulin secretion ability, and concomitant endothelial dysfunction among newly-diagnosed impaired glucose metabolism patients with coronary artery disease. An open label, single blinded, prospective randomized controlled trial. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2016;15(1):121. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12933-016-0437-y
- Serhiyenko VA, Serhiyenko AA. Cardiac autonomic neuropathy: Risk factors, diagnosis and treatment. World J Diabetes. 2018;9(1):1-24. https://doi.org/10.4239/wjd.v9.i1.1
- Serhiyenko VA, Serhiyenko AA. Diabetic cardiac autonomic neuropathy: Do we have any treatment perspectives? World J Diabetes. 2015; 6(2):245-258. https://doi.org/10.4239/wjd.v6.i2.245
- Serhiyenko VA, Serhiyenko AA. Diabetic cardiac autonomic neuropathy. In: Saldaña JR, ed. Diabetes Textbook: Clinical principles, patient management and public health issues. Basel: Springer Nature Switzerland AG, 2019, Section 53. pp. 825-850. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-11815-0_53
- Simental-Mendia LE, Rodriguez-Moran M, Guerrero-Romero F. The product of fasting glucose and triglycerides as surrogate for identifying insulin resistance in apparently healthy subjects. Metab Syndr Relat Disord. 2008;6(4):299-304. https://doi.org/10.1089/met.2008.0034
- Spallone V, Ziegler D, Freeman R, Bernardi L, Frontoni S, Pop-Busui R et al. Toronto Consensus Panel on Diabetic Neuropathy. Cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy in diabetes: clinical impact, assessment, diagnosis, and management. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2011;27:639-653. https://doi.org/10.1002/dmrr.1239
- Tandon N, Ali MK, Narayan KM. Pharmacologic prevention of microvascular and macrovascular complications in diabetes mellitus: implications of the results of recent clinical trials in type 2 diabetes. Am J Cardiovasc Drugs. 2012;12(1):7-22. https://doi.org/10.2165/11594650-000000000-00000
- Tenenbaum A, Enrique Z. Fisman EZ. Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids supplementation in patients with diabetes and cardiovascular disease risk: does dose really matter? Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2018;17:119. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12933-018-0766-0
- Vasques AC, Novaes FS, de Oliveira MS, Souza JR, Yamanaka A, Pareja JC et al. TyG index performs better than HOMA in a Brazilian population: a hyperglycemic clamp validated study. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2011;93(3):e98-e100. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2011.05.030
- Vinik AI, Erbas T, Casellini CM. Diabetic cardiac autonomic neuropathy, inflammation and cardiovascular disease. J Diabetes Investig. 2013;4(1):4-18. https://doi.org/10.1111/jdi.12042
- Yanai H, Masui Y, Katsuyama H, Adachi H, Kawaguchi A, Hakoshima M et al. An improvement of cardiovascular risk factors by omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. J Clin Med Res. 2018;10(4):281-289. https://doi.org/10.14740/jocmr3362w
- Ziegler D, Keller J, Maier C, Pannek J; German Diabetes Association. Diabetic neuropathy. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2014;122(7):406-415. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0034-1366435